Friday, March 23, 2012

To An Old Friend

I woke up today wishing it were all a dream:
My unanswered prayers and these quiet halls,
Your silent words and this emptied heart.
Where is your hope, did they take your smile?
I close my eyes to see your radiant face,
The one no one has seen in a while.

Come back to us, come back, my friend,
Where did you go? Why did it end?
The laughter of your tender soul,
The loving warmth of your embrace;
Come back to us, come back and stay.

I remember days when the best I had
Was the chance to hear your memories;
I remember nights when I kept hope because I knew
That you were praying for me too.
I remember that the path out of my broken past
Led me straight to you.

Come back to us, come back, dear friend,
Where are you now? Why won’t this end?
We miss the laughter of your soul,
We miss your warm embrace;
Come back to us, come back dear friend,
Come be with us to stay.

Sometimes when darkness claims my guiding light,
And life’s valleys seem too deep,
I’m reminded of what you once said:
That the father’s love for his son
Is one that he will keep.

Come back to us, come back, old friend,
We wait here for you, let’s begin again.
We miss your laughter and your joy,
We miss your loving, fatherly embrace;
Come back to us, come back, old friend,
Return to us to stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment